Monday, June 8, 2015

Michigan State University

I am so thankful to have the opportunity to be here at Michigan State University. Not only is this campus beautiful, so much green and trees everywhere, but everyone I have met in Culinary Services has been extremely welcoming.

Tammy, the other intern, and I both arrived Friday. We were acquainted with Dorothy, Mitch, and Natan, our preceptor's assistants. They were very welcoming, and helped us to get settled in. My favorite part of that day was when they took us to Brody Hall to eat lunch. It made quite the impression. I was so amazed by the 9 different stations of foods that were offered. Some of my favorite include Brimstone Grille, which serves burgers, hot-dogs, fries and more. Ciao makes the best pizza I've tasted on any campus I've been do. My next favorite is the Homestyle station; they always have a yummy meat and some kind of vegetable and potato.

But the one thing that really got my attention was the area that trays are dropped off when a person is done eating.




The university I attend is much smaller, and I have never seen anything like this before. There is no dumping or clearing off of anything from your tray. You simply set it on one of the rotating racks and it takes it in the back to be sorted for trash and recycling.

The following Monday we met staff members of  Culinary Services. Everyone was very nice and even excited to meet us. Each explained a little about what they do, and some projects we might be able to do. The day ended with a welcoming reception where some members of the culinary staff prepared tasty foods for us to snack on while we got more familiar with the employees. It was very sweet, and made Tammy and I feel so welcome and even more excited to be here.





Tuesday was mostly compliance and safety training to work in the different food service areas on campus, after which, Lary (our preceptor) took us on tour of East Lansing. It's such a beautiful city, and my favorite part was when we stopped at a cupcake shop before heading back to the university.

Wednesday we spent the morning with Gina, the dietitian for the department. She explained her role with culinary services and expressed that her main concern was allergens in the food, and making awareness and safety with correct labeling and use of utensils. After we met with the corporate chef, Kurt. He discussed his role in the department. His passion for culinary is very evident and truly inspiring. I have so much respect for him, and I am very excited to work with him on new recipes. We also met with Lary to talk about our special project and other events. He was also curious about what we wanted to experience while we are here. The short answer is, "everything!", but I hope we get to see the whole process of how food leaves the organic farms and is prepared to go on the food trucks.

Speaking of the food trucks, Thursday was our first day working on the white truck. I enjoyed getting some exposure to how things are done on a food truck. And the food was incredible. My favorite is their New Classic Burger with their homemade, beer cheese.



Friday we helped with the annual chili cook-off. There were many tents set up with different chili for people to taste. The chili we were serving had pork chorizo in it, with other spices that gave it a distinct flavor and made it mouth watering. We also served a salsa that had a spicy yet sweet taste to it. Tammy and I hadn't done anything like this before, so it was great to be able to observe and learn the effort and skills that go into keeping the food safe, fresh, and appealing to the hundreds of people being served.


Tammy (left) and I (right) have been truly blessed this week with how wonderful everyone has been to us. We are getting tons of exposure to new things that we will be able to take back with us and use in our dietetic professions.






No comments:

Post a Comment