Sunday, June 7, 2015

Michigan State Week One

Words do not even describe how beautiful Michigan State is! I am amazed at all the green all around campus, the farm lands and how alive the campus is. Lary, culinary event coordinator/dining service manager and coordinator for NACUFS interns, has shown myself and Sonny, the second intern, all around and described the different components of this massive campus. Natan, assistant dining service manager, has also taken myself and Sonny walking through campus and shown us the little gems MSU has.

As Sonny and I went through our first week it was like dipping our toes in a little bit of everything MSU has to offer.

Monday we were able to meet many of the leadership staff within the Culinary Services department on campus. I was amazed at how welcoming and kind everyone was (and still is). The middle of the day was filled with tours and becoming acquainted with the campus. The day ended with an amazing welcome reception for Sonny and I. The corporate kitchen staff definitely out did themselves with how great the food was that was offered. I was able to try lamb for the first time! It was an opportunity to meet a number of the great people we will get to know more throughout our internship.

Tuesday we completed an extensive training program required to work in the department. We were also able to tour the Gallery, one the many dining establishments on campus. This is where two culinary challenges will take place that Sonny and I get to help plan.

Wednesday Sonny and I met with Gina who is the dietitian within the culinary services department. She talked about her role within the department and how instrumental she is in streamlining all menu creation and use and allergen awareness among many other functions throughout her day to day work. Kurt, corporate chef, also described his role within the department to Sonny and I. (Such an inspirational and passionate chef!) Sonny and I both got very excited when we learned that we would be working alongside Chef Kurt to create or modify a recipe of our choice. After lunch, Lary spoke with Sonny and I more about our projects and overall experience. To finish up the day Ryan, corporate kitchen intern, led Sonny and I through basic knife skills.

Thursday was my favorite day of the week. Sonny and I got to work on the food truck! I am intrigued by the entire idea of food trucks and the topic of bringing a food truck to my campus back home has been a hot one. Sonny and I spent the entire day working alongside the food truck supervisors and workers (all MSU students) to learn everything that goes into making the truck a success from inventory to food prep to cleaning the truck to running and closing it down.

Friday was a change of pace for Sonny and I. We were working an annual chili cook off hosted in the area. The cook off has many different tents of vendors and the public can come and walk through each tent to taste the chili and vote on their personal favorites. There is also a theme each year and this year was a Hollywood theme. MSU hosted a tent and Sonny and I were able to observe the set-up of the tent and how the food is held hot. The event has a health inspector that comes around and checks every tent's food to make sure the food is safe. As the public began to show up Sonny and I assisted in keeping things running smoothly from filling up the spoons to helping serve the food.

Each encounter with everyone throughout the week has made me very excited to learn more about the unique role each person plays within MSU to keep everything running so smoothly.




All the food offered in our beautiful welcome reception! 


Spartan Stadium! (Probably not the official name...)


My new favorite ice cream: S150! (I cannot pronounce or spell the 'S' word.) This was a commemorative ice cream created by MSU's very own dairy store. 


Official food truckers! 


 We had to lose the feather boas to serve though! :( Darn physical contaminants! 


This was the chili cook off line just getting started! We served almost 40 gallons of delicious chili. 

No comments:

Post a Comment