Monday, June 22, 2015

UGA Week 3!

Week 3!

Monday (6/15)


We got to start the week off strong with the Foodservice Orientation team! Today we helped out with the tasks of the first day orientation; we started off in the Tate Center to help the parents and students as they headed into their first orientation session. We informed them where they could buy meal tickets for their time at orientation and tried to answer any questions they had. Once everyone had gone into the first session we packed up all the tables and signs and headed over to Bolton for breakfast. After breakfast it was near the time for the orientation lunch and there we tried to get everyone through the line as quick and smoothly as possible. A little while after our lunch we went to the Bulldog café and handed out lemonade and popcorn to the students as they came in for a break. By this time it was already feeling like a long day, I couldn’t imagine being one of the students during this action packed day! After the student’s snack break we were able to take a small break until it was time for orientation dinner. This was very similar to lunch except there wasn’t as much of a rush to get people in and out. I had such a blast with the orientation team today! Everyone on the team was so fun to work with and it was easy to feel pumped all day long since all the students were so excited to be at orientation and about to start college!
After I was done for the day I took the opportunity to go on a run around town. It was so pretty to go on an evening run and see the sun set on campus!


Tuesday (6/16)

Today I met Kris at O’House to conduct a mock health inspection of the unit. We started off going over the sheet and discussing the different areas where it was possible for them to loose points. As we walked through the unit she went over everything thoroughly about what to look for. I really enjoyed getting to do this first hand; I have worked many places that have health inspections and it was fascinating to see first hand what is being inspected.
After we were done with our mock health inspection I sat down to work on the banquet project (and get some delicious frozen coffee).
I was able to run some ideas by Rob and he then suggested we go over to Central to look at old event books. We drove over to central (which is huge!) and looked through some scrapbooks of events that have happened in the past. This really helped me to get a better understanding and spark my vision for the project.

I was really inspired by all these ideas so I spent the rest of the day in the Science Library looking at history books and cookbooks to get a better feel for the 1920s. After spending much time in there I was able to come up with some great ideas for the menu… I can’t wait until we can start recipe tasting!


Wednesday (6/17)

I thought 6 am last week was early but today I started work at 4 am! I was at Bolton ready to start before the sun even came up. This morning is inventory day for everyone working in storage and has to be done before the cooks come in and start taking things off the shelves. I worked with Matt counting all the dry good items and we counted items product by product. It went by quickly and we were done by 6am; after that I shadowed the guys working in storage and they showed me what they do on a day-to-day basis. In the morning Bolton receives many truck deliveries and they have to be at the loading dock when it arrives. When the truck arrives they unload all the goods, make sure everything they ordered is there, and from there put everything away. When the last truck arrived Brian (the assistant manager of inventory) showed me how they place their daily order through Food Pro. It was so interesting getting to work behind the scenes and see how this massive dining hall gets everything they need to make production run smoothly.
Dry Storage
That afternoon I met with Rob to discuss the menu and other plans for the banquet. We narrowed down the menu and will get Chef Sam’s opinion next week; we also talked trough decorations and how we envision the banquet so far.
Later in the afternoon I met up with Rob again and we went to volunteer at the Food Bank. Our task was to fill bags with food that they will then give to children on the weekends. There were so many volunteers and it was amazing how much we could get done with everyone’s help!
Food Bank

Thursday (6/18)

This morning we were able to help catering with the orientation parent breakfast! The catering team is definitely a well-oiled machine; as soon as we got there they were moving through the motions and got the elaborate set-up ready in no time. At this point the catering manager, Jessica, went over how they balance different events, how they pack for these events, and how they generally run.
The breakfast was set up like an outdoor farmers market where they could go to different booths and get different foods. I was at the ‘build your own fruit cup’ booth along with the dietitians. I helped make sure the fruit baskets were filled and that everything looked nice throughout the event. Once the parents went off to the resources fair we broke down all the booths and I was shocked it took even less time to put everything away! I really enjoyed working with the catering team and it was fun getting to talk to the parents.


























Friday (6/19)


Red Clay Café is one of the campus eateries and is located on the East side of campus. My job today was to see how they run the café and learn the different areas. There was a coffee bar, salad station, and a place to order sandwiches. My favorite station by far was the coffee bar (I love coffee!). Andrew is the one who typically works in this area and taught us how to make different coffee drinks. I floated between the different stations today and in the end helped Bambi (assistant manager of Red Clay) place the order for the next day. I really enjoyed working here today; it was such a welcoming place and everyone who works there is so full of energy! 

Until next week! 

Kara :)

No comments:

Post a Comment