Tuesday, June 16, 2015

UGA Week 2

Hi you guys, I'm back and ready to tell you about this past week. Are you ready? Great, here we go!!

Tuesday, June 9th

     This was the day where I would find out just how much of mess shredded hash browns and cheese grits can be an issue on a serving line. I worked the hot self serve line at O'House for the breakfast and lunch shift. O'House is taking care of majority of the summer camps on campus this summer. I found myself inspecting the plates of every person that passed through and analyzing what was on it. The majority of people either loaded up completely on carbs or protein. In-between trying to keep the line clean and presentable, I had to make sure that the line did not run out of the popular breakfast items such as cinnamon rolls, bacon, and shredded hash browns. After the breakfast rush was over and the line was set for lunch, I got the chance to really interact with the people that work there. Everyone I spoke to had been the for at least 3 years and had nothing but good things to say about their time there. When it came time for lunch, I had to work the custom hamburger station which proved to a little challenging in the beginning because the system was not working properly and had to be rebooted. During the system reboot, I had to take handwritten orders for at least 40 people. By the time the system started working, the lunch rush was practically over. I do not know about anybody else, but I prefer taking the orders by hand. It seems much more personally and a bit easier than using the computer system. I had a great day either way it goes.

Wednesday, June 10th
     I started the day with a bang by getting lost practically as soon as I walked out of Mary Lyndon (thanks Google). With Kris' help, I found my way to Village Summit right in the nick of time. There, I would meet two of the sweetest women in the world, Ms. Alice and Ms. Wynonna who are AM cooks at Summit. After Ms. Wy should me how she wanted the pancakes to look and told me how many to fit on the griddle, I was thrust into the grove of making cinnamon apple pancakes. After I ran out of batter, Ms. Wy and I started prepping for Thursday morning breakfast. I felt pretty good about myself knowing that I could keep up with the demand for the pancakes. 
     
     When I was done helping Ms. Wy, it was time for the Grab 'n Go meeting with Ellie and Paul. Ellie and Paul gave us a better explanation of what exactly is expected of us in terms of how we need to go about looking for ways to refresh the Grab 'n Go products. They also took us on a tour of the creamery and retail location in the new vet school. After our meeting, I headed back to Bolton to meet Kris so that we could to the Food Bank to pack lunches for the Food2Kids program. I had great time doing that and I left with a greater appreciation and understand for Food Banks and the people with work there. It felt really good knowing that I was keeping a child from going hungry.

Thursday, June 11th
     This was my day to be in the dish room at O'Hose. Mr. Clint really kept me on my toes the whole day. By the end of the day, there was not a part of the dish room that I had not worked at least once while I was back there. Although, I can say that with all the water and constant movement back there, it can be extremely hot. Mr. Clint even showed me how to move through a large crowd with dishes and silverware.

Friday, June 12th
     We attended a management workshop with Kris and some of the mangers from different departments under the Food Service umbrella. We participated in a presentation the identified your "True Colors" and compared the results to how we manage things. There are four colors: orange, gold, green, and blue. Orange people are the more spontaneous and adventurous types. Gold people are very systematic, organized, and love to follow rules and traditions. Green people are your thinkers and problem solvers. Blue people are very emotional and care about people and relationships. Just because you may be one color one day doesn't meant that you'll be the same color all the time. My color was blue on Friday, but my secondary color was gold. After a delicious lunch, the workshop continued with presentations from different committees about changes that are going to take place in the near future. After the workshop was over, we caught a ride with Joey Hreha, one the managers over at Bolton, back to good ol' Mary Lyndon.

Weekend Adventures
     Let's start with Friday night. Kara and I walked to Walker's Coffee and Pub where we met up with Joey, Britney and Cole from O'House, and some of the other mangers and their friends. It was a great night. The next day, I took a ride down to the Gwinnett Convention Center for the Celebration of Texture hair event where I met Terri J. Vaughn and Keshia Knight Pulliam. They are amazingly sweet and a huge inspiration. I was also able to walk away with some really awesome product samples I can't wait to use on my hair. Sunday was my day to relax and do laundry.
Where the dirty dishes come from

Where they are loaded in to get washed

The dish room 

Convenient store in the new vet school 

The other side of the store

The inside of the creamery

Roasted pig for lunch at the workshop

Break time

More break time
Talking with Terri Vaughn
Hi Ms. Keshia!!




Until then you guys!!

Flo :)

No comments:

Post a Comment