Sunday, June 14, 2015

UGA Week 2!


Monday (6/8)

It is the start of my first full week! Today we shadowed Bryan Varin, Interim Executive Director. We started off by meeting him with the Foodservice orientation team and from there went all around campus! We visited places on campus that we hadn't seen before - the Niche (on the Health Science Campus) and Snelling (which is closed for the summer). Throughout the day he shared a lot of information with us about UGA Foodservice. He told us about his current role within UGA Foodservice as well as the other roles he has held. We also learned how the system works and how each role contributes. It was really cool to see how each person contributes so much for making everything run smoothly. Also, we learned about all the changes that are happening within then department from new positions being created to the new meal plans that are available this year. I learned so much today!
The second part of our day, we met up with the banquet team to talk about our project and decide on a theme! We came in with three different ideas but after hearing more specifics about the assignment we decided to scrap our ideas and start from square one. I spent the rest of the day thinking about different themes and came up with some ideas… by our meeting next week we will have our official theme!

Tuesday (6/9)


Early bird gets the worm… or so they say. Today I had a 5am wake-up call so I could start work at O’House at 6am. My job today was hot food production. I met Dana and Maria who open the kitchen in the mornings and they instructed me that I was going to be making French toast for breakfast. I was making French toast by the loaf, and I thought surely by 9 I had made enough… and then a large camp came in and I was told we were out of French toast! I couldn’t believe after all that I made we ran out! I had to work hard to catch up.
Me showing off my French Toast making skills 
After that I helped prep for the other meals. I put together grilled cheese sandwiches, which would be grilled later, chopped green onion and parsley, and prepped bacon and sausage for the next morning. I also was able to help Maria make the pancake batter for the next day… whole grain apple pancakes, yum!
It was a fun but long day! After that I just wanted to lie down and get off my feet. I was lucky to have the help of Maria today, she taught me easier ways to do tasks. Thankfully I get to sleep in a little tomorrow!

Wednesday (6/10)


I started off the day by helping the orientation team! We greeted the new students and parents  and showed them where they could buy tickets for meals during orientation as they went into their first session. I then went over to The Village Summit to work in the dish room. I was initially skeptical of the task but I turned out to really enjoy it! I met another woman named Maria in the dish room and she showed me how to work the different stations. Luckily I was able to learn when there was a lull because when the camps started coming in I could hardly keep up! I first worked pulling dishes off the belt, scrapping off the extra food, stacking the dishes, and sending them down the line to be put in the dishwasher. Later, I was tasked to take items off the line and load them in to the dishwasher; I was so thankful for everyone who showed me easier and quicker ways to do the tasks! Altogether I had a fun day working in the dish room! 
Dishes coming from the dining room

Adding dishes to the dishwasher
I wasn’t done after that though… Florence and I then met with Ellie and Paul who gave us more information about our grab and go project. Our second big project this summer is to help refresh the grab and go options in the retail operations. We ate lunch with them and then they took us around to a few retail operations on campus to see what the current grab and go options are. We visited the Vet med location and the creamery… we of course got ice cream when we visited!
Vet Med Retail Location 

The Creamery


Thursday (6/11)

Breakfast Line
Back in O’House today! My job today was to work on the line starting for breakfast. I helped bring out all the food on the line to make sure it was ready to go when all the camps came in. There was a mad rush when the large camps came in; I was running around trying to make sure nothing ran out. Once the camps went through it was pretty quiet and only a few meal plan students trickled in. Around lunchtime, we pulled the rest of the breakfast foods and brought out the lunch food. At this time I was specifically working at the Hole in the Wall grill where students could order burgers. Again, when the campers came through it was very busy! I was giving orders to the kitchen and then making sure the students got their sandwiches; and then again, it was quiet after the campers came and went. At 3, all of the food was pulled off the line and the dining hall shut down until dinnertime. I then helped clean the dining room and restock napkins and such until it was time for me to leave. I really enjoyed getting to work in O’House this week!

Friday (6/12)

Today I got to attend the Management workshop! One cool thing that we got to do was True Colors, a personality test. Four colors for four different personality types. We broke into our different colors and got to discover more about our true personality and the other personalities (My main color was gold – I believe in having rules and structure). This was really interesting because it helped me to understand how different people work through situations; it also helped me better understand how to work with other kinds of people.
The rest of the afternoon different people from different areas of
the department talked about where UGA dining services is right now and what changes are in store! I am excited to be part of the change!
Bolton Hushpuppies
After the workshop was over it was all about friends and food. I had the best meal yet today because there were hushpuppies – my favorite food! After dinner Florence and I got to see downtown Athens at night. It was such a fun experience! There were people on the street playing music, selling food, and having fun! It was truly unlike anything I had experienced before!

Weekend Take 2!

I used this weekend to relax from all the excitement of the week. It felt so nice to sleep in! I took advantage of the free time to go on a run around campus (marathon training waits for no one!) Today I learned my lesson about running outside when the sun is still out… the Georgia heat is killer!  I will have to start running in the evenings to avoid the heat.


It’s hard to believe that a week and a half have already gone by! I am excited to see what is in store for me this coming week!


No comments:

Post a Comment