Monday, June 8, 2015

UGA Week 1!

Welcome to The University of Georgia!




My name is Kara Natchus and I will be a senior this year at Virginia Tech. I am majoring in Human Nutrition, Food and Exercise and concentrating in dietetics. I have lived in Virginia all my life so being in Georgia for the summer will be a new and exciting experience for me! I hope to learn as much as possible about collegiate food service, as I hope to work in food service as a dietitian. I am also excited to take full advantage of being in Georgia this summer and see as much as possible!




Wednesday (6/5)


I arrived in Athens, GA! It was a long 8-hour trip from Virginia and I couldn’t have been happier when I finally crossed the border from South Carolina into Georgia. Georgia is such a beautiful state, everything is so green and there were so many farm fields driving to Athens!
I am excited to be living on campus, it'll feel just like freshman year (however, our dorm we are staying in is a lot nicer than my freshman dorm… AC!). Once I arrived I unpacked all my stuff and got ready for my first day!
Mary Lydon Hall
Thursday (6/6)
Botanical Garden


Today Florence (my fellow intern) and I started off meeting Kris Ingmundson (our awesome intern director) in one of the dining halls, Bolton, for breakfast where we met some people we will be working with this summer. After that we finished up some paper work in her office and were off for our campus tour! First we toured a few of the major dining halls (Tate, O’House and then the Village Summit) and remained in the Village Summit for lunch where we met some more people we will be working with this summer! We were then off to North Campus. Here we saw some beautiful old buildings and some of Kris’ favorite spots on campus (which I think will be my favorite spots as well!), one of which was the Founders botanical garden.Another highlight of the tour was seeing the stadium… it was massive! When we finished the tour we were done for the day so Florence and I took the opportunity to check out downtown Athens! There were so many cute shops and historical buildings, and of course we had to stop for ice cream!
City Hall



Friday (6/7)

Second day means second day orientation! Today we got to help the food service orientation group with second day orientation activities. We started off at the parent’s breakfast, where we directed parents to the farmer’s market inspired breakfast. We then ran up to the resources fair where students and parents could get a taste of what is offered around campus. We remained at the food service booth where we assisted the orientation leaders in helping parents sign their student up for their meal plans. After a busy morning we then broke down the resource fair booth and headed back to Bolton where we collected tickets from students and parents going to lunch. Around 1:30 we then went to lunch where we discussed possible themes for the Freshman College closing banquet that we are planning. Talking about all the possible themes has made me excited and I can’t wait to start planning!

It's the weekend!

I took advantage of this weekend to explore the campus
. Saturday, I started off at the stadium and was determined to find the library. After getting lost and wondering around in circles on North Campus I finally found it! I spent some time there but then decided to go explore downtown Athens some more. My favorite find was this quaint little bookstore a couple blocks away from campus (it is quite obvious that I am a book nerd).

On Sunday I went exploring again. This time I found the Latin American Ethnobotanical Garden, which was quite beautiful! I also found a quite little spot on Herty field to relax. I learned that this field was the original UGA football field.

I had a great time exploring this weekend and hopefully now I won't get as lost on campus. It was nice to have some downtime before I go full speed ahead on my first full week! 

Kara
Latin American Ethnobotanical Garden

Herty Field


No comments:

Post a Comment