Monday, June 22, 2015

UNH Weeks 3 and 4: Dairy Bar Edition

Hey y'all, I've been working at the Dairy Bar here at UNH for the last two weeks. I decided to merge the time into one large blog post where I'll try to sum up all I've learned from working at this location.



The Work Stuff

I was trained in all positions at the Dairy Bar; from working the cash register to washing and paring freshly delivered strawberries from the farm next door. One of my projects during these two weeks was to create an entree build guide (similar to what I made for the Union Court eateries) and an ordering guide that can be used when the location owner, Jane, isn't there to do the ordering herself. What started as a handful of vendors turned into closer to a dozen vendors when all was said and done. We made sure to cover every company that the the Dairy Bar orders from: including chemicals, paper goods, and all of the food vendors. Once I've finished compiling all of these, the goal is that anyone acting as manager at this location will be able to open this guide and know exactly what numbers to call, products to order, and the account information to give for different vendors. I appreciate receiving this experience in developing organizational skills based on the needs of different managers. What Kathy at the Union Court requires to keep things in order is far different from what Jane at the Dairy Bar needs for the same purposes. Working with these different personalities has been a great opportunity as well as an interesting challenge similar to what I'll experience some day in my career. 

The Dairy Bar is very much a sustainability focused business. Increasing sustainability is a mission I care deeply about and one area I was excited to learn about through this internship in particular. Their products are as local as can be, delivered fresh, rotated through quickly, and the result is mouthwateringly delicious products. (My personal favorite being the Switchman veggie burger.) 
One memorable moment from the two weeks was seeing the local farmer, whose farm we visited previously, deliver cartons of freshly picked strawberries to the Dairy Bar. We washed, sliced, and used the berries in a seasonal strawberry-walnut chicken salad. Unusable berries were placed in the compost bin. (Yet another sustainable practice here.)
The most delicious strawberries that I've ever eaten!
Working at this location was a totally different world compared to the Union Court! The ice cream is to die for. It is made in Maine, and the Dairy Bar stocks 30 flavors - including everything from the classics like coffee to more unique blends like Graham Central Station. (Graham cracker ice cream with chocolate chips - most famously enjoyed by President Obama when he visited UNH.)
These two weeks flew by! The Dairy Bar was loads of fun to work at, all of my coworkers were wonderful to work with, and every item on the menu was simply scrumptious.


The Play Stuff

June 12-14:
On Friday the 12th, the lovely ladies from the Union Court and I had a cookout at their apartment's outdoor grill, we played frisbee with the neighbors, and I made some fantastic guacamole for everyone. I crashed at their place, then on Saturday we went back to Rye Beach and enjoyed the beautiful weather by the ocean for hours. I crashed there again, and on Sunday morning we cooked breakfast for the roommates and the guys that live next door! I was exhausted by the time I got home, but it was such a fun weekend that itwas worth the lack of sleep!
Kabobs anyone?

Exploring Rye
June 18-20"
At the Dairy Bar, I received Friday the 19th off and worked Sunday the 21st in exchange. So on Thursday night, Lexie and I went to Dover, NH and climbed a tower in Garrison Park that overlooks all of Dover. The view was stunning! 

Hey Dover
Then, on Saturday the 20th, Mindy from the Dairy Bar and I went to Mendum's Pond, rented paddleboards, and went out on the lake. The weather was nice, the water was calm, and I had a great first paddleboarding experience!



It was a jam packed two weeks and I'm shocked that the internship is already half way over! I have an even busier coupe of weeks coming up so I cant wait else I learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment