Thursday, July 23, 2015

Michigan State Week Eight

This week was brief! Monday I was able to help make salads, but then I actually helped delivered them from the commissary kitchen. This takes a very long time since the campus is quite massive! Tuesday I toured the linen services building and the meat lab on campus. The size of one of the washers (just one of them) in linen services was big enough to make an apartment for myself! The meat lab is where animals grown through MSU are processed and boy was it fun walking into a room seeing an 1,800 pound cow hanging from the ceiling. Wednesday was spent assisting in Green and White Days. This is an event that occurs for high school students and is showcasing all that MSU offers. What better way to culminate this internship than by being able to share my Spartan experience with Spartans-to-be? 

I am just in shock at how fast eight weeks flew by. It seems like just yesterday I was walking in to the test kitchen meeting everyone with shaky hands and sweaty palms. Now I leave with warm embraces and cherished memories! 

Sure the campus is beautiful and the resources MSU has are just astonishing, but what I will miss the most are the people that I have encountered along the way. Each person I have met along the way has made the campus as beautiful and alive as it is and each person has strived to make not only my Spartan experience one to remember, but every person's they encounter one to remember. Yes, I have learned way more than I ever could have imagined during my time here, but what I did not expect was the depth and value to the ideas and principles I would learn. Every person I met along the way made that happen. They took the time to sit with me and teach about what they do and answer my questions and go above and beyond my expectations of what I could take away from each person I met. I have learned an entire new dimension to lending a helping hand, a listening ear and as Fontbonne would say: "helping the dear neighbor." I walk away with not only a sharper mind, but a kinder heart. The Spartan experience is unparalleled. 

A special thank you to Lary for coordinating this internship. You have been so welcoming and kind to Sonny and myself. You have always been willing to accommodate any additions Sonny and I wanted to make in the schedule and you made sure we got to experience everything. Words alone cannot express the gratitude I feel for the time and effort you put forth on top of everything else. Your time has been valuable to me and your presence is one that I will always remember with a smile! 

No comments:

Post a Comment