Sunday, July 5, 2015

University of Kansas: Week 5

Welcome back!


It’s getting down to the nitty gritty at KU -- Mallory and I only have three weeks left of our internship!

Monday


I began my week working in The Studio and barista training with Emily. All of the coffee shops on campus serve coffee from The Roasterie (based out of Kansas City, MO), so Emily began my training by filling me in on the Roasterie’s mission and values. Basically, as long as I remembered the catchy phrase “Creating Exceptional Coffee Experience,” I was good to go. The phrase perfectly sums up the expectations The Roasterie has for anyone serving their products: prepare quality coffee and espresso drinks and offer exceptional customer service.

After learning about my expectations as a barista, Emily walked me through the process of making the different drinks offered at all of The Roasterie locations on campus. Along with espresso drinks such as lattes, cappuccinos, and frappes, KU diners can also purchase fruit smoothies at The Roasterie locations. I began my practice of making drinks by learning how to make smoothies. Though I felt like a smoothie master after blending a few, Emily zipped through the smoothie preparation much faster than I, seeing as she has all of the recipes memorized.

After I proved my ability to make smoothies, Emily taught me how to pull espresso shots. I thought that was pretty simple -- the tricky part began when I learned how to steam milk. It requires putting the steam wand into the milk at just the right angle and depth for just the right amount of time. If the milk gets too hot (above 160 degrees), you’ve burnt the milk and you have to start all over (which happened to me A LOT). I probably tried steaming milk around 20 times over the course of the entire day, and I was successful about 4 times. If I were a baseball player, my batting average would probably land me on the bench….

10th time's a charm! 


While I wasn’t too skilled at making hot espresso drinks, I successfully made a few iced lattes and a frappe, and I passed the written barista test with flying colors. As for the milk steaming, much more practice will be needed!

Tuesday


On Tuesday, I headed to the Kansas Union building to work a catering event under Robert Pierrelee’s supervision. I began my morning walking around with Robert to discuss the different aspects of catering, including staffing events, working with customers, piecing together event menus, and the scope of events that KU catering executes. We also had some interesting side conversations about the best KC barbeque (now I have to add KC Joe’s to my list of restaurants to try).

NSO lunch 
After talking with Robert, I helped set up for and run the serving line during the New Student Orientation lunch. It was pretty simple: watch the food on the line, take the hotel pan off of the warmer when it gets low, and replace it with a fresh one. Everything went smoothly, and the diners seemed satisfied with their meal of spinach lasagna, spaghetti with meat sauce, green beans, and salad. I ate some for lunch once the event was finished, and I can’t blame them. Delicious!

Wednesday


Wednesday was another field trip day with David. He took us to Kansas City, Missouri to tour The Roasterie factory. It was a nicely timed field trip, since Mallory and I just completed our barista training this week.



The Roasterie
The Roasterie has a really cool story. The founder, Danny O’Neill, broke into the coffee roasting business with a small roasting machine in his house. Now, he roasts coffee in the warehouse in Kansas City. His roasting method, air roasting, is different from the traditional method, drum roasting, in that it uses hot air to roast the beans from the bottom. This apparently roasts the coffee beans more evenly (the drum roasting tumbles the beans in a drum, which doesn’t always roast the entire batch as evenly). Though I am a coffee lover, I never knew too much about the roasting process, so it was cool to learn about!


So many coffee beans!
After touring the roasting section of the factory, our tour guide made us some coffee via the V60 brewing method. He very thoroughly explained the difference between the different roasts of coffee (light, medium, and dark) and the different types of brewing (automatic coffee maker, V60, and French press) and how those factors affect the flavor of the coffee. My personal preference is French press, but the coffee he brewed for us was amazing, too!

We returned to campus around noon, so Mallory and I grabbed some lunch and then headed up to North College Café to begin filming for our videos. Since I am making my video about the vegan food options on campus, I recorded a voiceover of Jim Schilling speaking about the Nature’s Finest concept. This is a line of vegan recipes that will be debuting in the residential dining halls in the fall. It’s cool because the concept was one of the projects the NACUFS interns worked on last summer, and now I am featuring it in a video for my project – full circle!

In addition to recording the voiceover, one of the NCC chefs, Tommy, plated some vegan dishes for me, and I snapped a few shots to add to my video. Jim also gave me a list of the vegan recipes that will be on the menu rotation in the fall. I wish I cold stick around to test them all because they sound delicious!!



Thursday


Thursday began bright and early with Cheryl Wiley, one of the dietitians on staff. Mallory and I spent our morning in the banquet room of Mrs. E’s with her learning about the nutrition education she does throughout the school year, along with the training she completes with new employees. Cheryl had a lot of materials to show us, and it was very impressive -- some of the education materials even won her a NACUFS award!

After talking to us about nutrition education, Cheryl showed us some training PowerPoint presentations. The training includes not only customer service, food safety, and KU Dining employee policies, but also food allergy training.

Once Cheryl wrapped up the last of her training PowerPoints, Mallory and I headed to the office of Mark Maranell, the general manager of Mrs. E’s. We showed him our theme dinner materials, which included our menu, decorations, and ideas for interactive features. He was very impressed and happy to offer us help with our concerns. Having Mark’s approval made everything seem more final, and I’m super excited to see how everything works out!

After finishing up with Mark, Mallory and I met with Mindy and Travis to discuss sourcing our ingredients for our theme dinner. Since we are trying to get a lot of ingredients locally, we had some questions for Mindy about where some of the produce is from. Unfortunately, some bad weather in May is interfering with us getting some of the produce locally, but there are still a good amount of ingredients that will be from local producers.

Our last task of the day was to finish recipe testing. Our final recipe was a bison black bean burger. We didn’t have any bison to test it with, though, so we used ground beef instead.

Bison Black Bean Burgers


The first time around was a little tricky. We only mashed up half of the black beans before mixing them with the ground beef, and the recipe also called for chopped tomatoes. The black beans and tomatoes kept falling out of the burgers when we were cooking them on the grill. Despite the burgers crumbling a bit, the flavor was on point.

(Almost) Everything's better with cheese!


Next time around, we mashed all of the black beans, which worked out a lot better! The tomatoes were still a problem, though, so we will omit them from the burgers completely and instead have a salsa on the side.
Talia and Mallory: 14. Recipe Fails: 2. (I think it’s safe to say that Mallory and I dominated over the recipe fails.)

Friday


Friday was another planning day, so Mallory and I headed to a local coffee shop, Alchemy, to get our caffeine kick and work on our projects. Being a coffee shop lover, Alchemy was the perfect way to end the week. They really do coffee right there because they use freshly ground coffee beans and V60 brewers to perfectly brew each individual cup of coffee. The personalized brewing really made a difference in the flavor!

Don't let your eyes deceive you -- that's coffee!
In addition to the hot coffee, they also cold brew coffee with a really cool set up of cold drip brewers on one of the walls. They use the cold coffee for the chilled drinks and the draft coffee; the draft coffee is simply the cold brewed coffee in a keg and is pumped out with nitrogen, making it fizzy. I’ve never heard of serving draft coffee before, so I though that was amazing! Not only was it pretty, it was also DELICIOUS. Alchemy completely changed how I view coffee. I’m converting back to my French press when I return home. J

Saturday


Saturday, Mallory and I headed into KC, MO to check out the Riverfest, which was a celebration for the 4th of July, complete with food and live music. Chilling along the Missouri River was a beautiful way to spend the evening.

Missouri River


With only three weeks left to go, all of the hard work Mallory and I have been doing is really beginning to come together. I’m excited to see where week six will take us!




No comments:

Post a Comment