Monday, July 13, 2015

Week 6 at UGA

Hey, I missed you guys!!! Let me tell you what all went down this week.

Monday, July 6th
     So the Freshman College opening banquet happened and it was a far cry from what I was expecting. For all the preparation that went into getting this event to happen, everything was over so fast. I was expecting there to be some sort of long winded speaker or a presentation or something. When we were setting up the tables we did run into a few minor problems. For instance, we started off putting flowers on every other table thinking that we would not have enough to put on every table, but that just mad the room look empty. So instead, flowers went on every table and that made a huge difference. Then there was an issue with the goblets, we started setting up the room from the front to the back. It was not until we started setting up the last two tables that we realized that we did not have enough goblets to finish them. So we had to take two table setting from the front of the room to make p from the ones in the back. Thankfully, we had more tables than we needed so the lose of those tables did not make a huge difference. Like I said these were only minor problems with super easy fixes. I think that it was a great idea for us to help with set up and break down of the banquet because now we have a better idea of how the room flows and how to make it look full. The closing banquet is going to be AMAZING!! #dontbelievemejustwatch
Berry Parfaits I made early that day

The menu











                                                                                 

Tuesday, July 7th
     I am just going to say this, if I do not leave here knowing anything else, I know that I can not live or manage in fear. I had the great pleasure of shadowing Kirti Leatham. She is the overnight manger at Snelling. We were originally suppose to shadow her on the same day we were with Joey and Craig, but she was not there. I could not let it go that I did not get follow her and compare her management style to everyone else. It was absolutely incredible to see the contrast between her style and honestly every other managers style we have met since we have been here. I could go on forever about all the things that she taught me about being a manager, but the all boiled down to knowing how to handle your employees, knowing how to stay calm in potentially stressful situations, and most importantly, not to mange in fear. Kirti taught me, that as a manager, you have to be able to make decisions, have a reason for that decision, and to stand behind that decision especially if that decision goes against that of your superior. She also taught me that if/when ever I have to give someone a write up, that I must be straight forward and to never talk about it right after it is given, never give it alone, and never give it at night. I really enjoyed shadowing Kirti. What I learned from her will follow me for the rest of my life.

Wednesday, July 8th
     We went to flower shop and finalized the rest of our decorations for the closing banquet. When we pulled up to the flower shop, it took me a minute to realize that we were not going to a normal flower shop were you get flowers for your mom on mother's day, it was a wholesale flower shop. I had never seen so many different flowers in my life. They were all beautiful in their own way, but I digress. It was a bit difficult to figure out exactly how many bunches and stems of flowers to get because neither of us had ever bought flowers like that before. Thankfully for us, we had Gail, from the flower shop, and Mark there to help us with the order. After we finalized our decorations, we went to Central to meet with Stuart about how he conducts weekly production run on FoodPro. To see the amount of information that has to be put in, double checked, and backed up was astounding. FoodPro is quite an amazing tool.








Burton & Burton



Thursday, July 9th
     So, I now know what practically all the sides of payroll looks like, and let me tell you it is absolutely amazing. Okay, when I got settled into my seat, Lisa and Susan handed me a few stacks of papers that had the completed payroll for students from each dining commons and satellite operation that falls under their umbrella along with some personnel forms that needed to checked against payroll to make sure that all the information matched. It took me while because I had to keep double checking the times to make sure that no one had worked over the allotted 20 hours each week and to make sure that the titles were correct for those who are working over the summer. Once payroll gets to the ladies in the office and someone has worked well over 20 hours there is not too much they can do because since they worked those hours, you have to pay them but the manager at the unit will get a call about to remind them of the rules. I also had to check a few personnel papers up against the form that students fill out upon being hired to make sure that all the information was transferred over successfully. It is extremely important that all the information matches, especially the pay rate, before they start working because if it does not match it can become problematic when it comes time for them to get paid.

Friday, July 10th
     Kara and I went on over to the commissary to finally test out some of recipes for the Grab n' Go menu. I am very excited to get to see some of the recipes come to life after looking for them and carefully picking them out. I cannot wait to see how they hold up over the weekend. Hopefully they will turn out to be just as good as they look.

Finally got to see the columns/arch 

Seedless Tomatoes!!!

BLT wontons

Triple Layer Apple Sandwich

The Weekend
 This has been one of my favorite weekends since I have been here. Saturday was boring simply because all I did was wash clothes and watch somethings on Netflix. Sunday, I decided to go on a bit of a food adventure to Atlanta. My first stop was to Sublime Donuts, which I would recommend to everyone. I love the wall art and the rest of the decor inside. Anyway, I only went to get maybe two donuts but as the picture shows, I left with a box. I got the A-Town creme, red velvet cake, fresh n cream, chocolate wild fritter, and salted caramel & reduced balsamic vinegar (they are listed in the order they appear in the picture below). Now before you judge that last one, let me tell you that it was one of my favorites with my favorite being the fresh strawberry n cream donut. After I left there, I went to FLIP Burger Boutique. The vibe was super chill and the food was great. I got beef fat french fries, a shrimp burger (the entire patty was made of shrimp!!), and a strawberry shortcake milkshake. If it is not already obvious, I really love strawberries. I think I might find my way back there before I leave.
 
Headed to Atlanta

The Best Donuts in the World
FLIP Burger Boutique 

Okay, it is definitely time for bed. I will talk to guys later. Peace!!

Flo

No comments:

Post a Comment