Wednesday, July 29, 2015

UGA Wrap Up


Before I get into the conclusion of the entire internship, I am going to tell about my last three days.  


Monday, July 27th

     The big has finally arrived and let tell you, it was a lot of fun. The time really flew by because there was so many little things that needed to be done. Our theme for the evening: 1920's speakeasy. With the help of a few students, we were able to get the place set up in time. The most time consuming thing we had to put were the light up balloons. The magnets were more challenging to get on the ceiling than I thought they would be. Rob completely took car of getting the serving lines together while we made sure that the tables were set and the flower arrangements were ready. The first large flower arrangement was hard to put together because neither one of us had ever done one before, so trying to figure out what look we were going for took a few shots. In the end, we finally got it together and the second one just came naturally. I cannot stress enough how grateful I am that we had the help of Rob, Cole, and the student employees. The photo booth did not take off as we had hoped but I am happy that we had the option there for them. We had a little mishap with plates because we ran out, but I count that as a good thing because most of the people that were in line at the time were coming back for seconds. The space was so beautiful and we received so many compliments about the food. I could not possible think of a better ending to all of the planning that we put into this event. By the end of the night, my feet were on full blaze and I was exhausted. I was also a little sad because I realized that this was a sign that this internship is really over.


Tuesday, July 28th

     CLEAN UP!! CLEAN UP!! EVERYBODY DO YOUR SHARE!! CLEAN UP!! CLEAN UP!! EVERYBODY!! EVERYWHERE!! That is right ladies and gentlemen; it is time to clean up or finish cleaning up rather. We spent the early part of the day cleaning up and putting the O'House dining room back together. Those balloons that I told you guys that took forever to put up only took about 20 minutes to take down. Then Rob took down the chandelier in the most anticlimactic way possible. I was expecting it to come down really fast like the one in What a Girl Wants, but alas it was a slow take down. Oh yeah, for about 10 minutes we could not find the stinking lid to chocolate sauce pot from Monday. Turns out someone had just put it in the catering closet and did not tell anyone. After the room was put back together, we had lunch and aid our final goodbyes to the O'House crew and headed to Bolton for a Peer Nutrition Educators (PNE) class. The class was very interesting because they go out to different locations on campus and give nutrition talks that included helpful recipes demonstrations and tips to different groups across campus. After Danielle and Katherine gave their presentations, Katherine instructed the class to go out into the dining hall with different food groups from my plate and come back with a dish for the group to try. It was more of a competition really. I was amazed with what they came up with. I would have never thought to put together some of the dishes they did. Most of them were very good, while other were not my taste. After the class was over, we talked with Katherine for a little bit then it was back to Mary Lyndon for the night.

Petits fours in the Georgia "G" 

Kara and I in the dining room

Photo booth background and lounge area

Desert table and centerpiece

Long table setting

Up close of the center piece


Semi darkened dining rom


Who is that girl? Her boa is nice.

Round table setting

Another long table setting


Wednesday, July 29th

     Today is the last day of the internship and I could not have more conflicting emotions. On one hand I am happy that I get to go home and see my family. On the other, I really enjoyed my time here at UGA and I have met so many interesting people. This morning, we got together to put the final report on the Grab n' Go project together. Afterwards, we met with Kris and a few of the individuals that we worked with over the summer for lunch at Bolton. When people started leaving and wishing us well, I had to fight back tears because I am huge crybaby when it comes to goodbyes. After lunch, we met with Kris, Craig, and Danielle for a resume critique. They gave a lot of helpful pointers on how to shorten our resumes from 2 pages to one and how to make our cover letter more readable to employers. When that was over, we had our individual final evaluations Kris and wrote thank you notes to a few people.


This has been quite the experience and I cannot believe that it is really over. It has been an amazing summer chopped full of learning. I am so grateful that had the opportunity to experience such a great program. I would like to take this time to thank Kris for taking a shot on me and allowing me to prove myself. I also want to to say a big thank you to UGA Food Services as a whole for bring so welcoming and making the time I have spent here fly by. I am going to stop here because if I do not, I am going to cry all over my laptop.

Until next time America.

     Flo



No comments:

Post a Comment