Monday, July 6, 2015

UGA Week 5

Listen, Linda! Listen!This short week kind of threw me off simply because the days felt like they were running together. With that being said, let's get to it.

Monday, June 29th
     I have worked with catering as you guys read a little while back so I knew what I was getting into when I arrived at Tate that morning. Catering had another parent breakfast scheduled for orientation, only this one was on the inside and had two buffet lines set up. It's very important that you pay attention to the way the tables are set up when you have two separate tables, they must mirror each other exactly. Once the parents and students started to roll in, it was like nonstop water and orange juice refills. But after a while, we condensed the two tables because because everything was starting to slow down and it did not make sense to have more than one table set up. The most important thing I learned while working with catering is if you tell catering that you are going to start at one time, make it your business to to adhere to that time.

This table is beautiful

The buffet lines


     I also had a meeting with Kris for a more personal update o how the internship is going. It went well and I am look forward to the rest of this internship. I spent the rest of the day writing the rest of the recipes I had left to do.

Tuesday, June 30th
     This day was awesome because I finally got to see what the retail side of food services. We met with Tamala Foreman, manager of the Campus Eateries, Chris Allinger, and Ellie Hansen, assistant managers of the Campus Eateries. That morning, Tamala took me to The Station out at the new vet school to work with Jennifer and one of her students. I got to use a machine called the Turbo Chef to make a few flat bread pizzas and sandwiches. I also got trained on how to use the register. Jennifer told me about how they do a sandwich count to let the commissary know how much they need for the next day's delivery. After Tamala picked me up, we all met back up to go to sit in on some interviews for a cashier position that they have open. the most important things I learned from sitting in on the interviews is that is never a good idea to wear jeans and t-shirt to an interview even if the person who is interviewing says it is okay because you are coming straight from work. Also, be on time and be prepared for any type of question they may ask about your work history/experience. There is also an unwritten rule about references that states that the former employer cannot say anything bad about you to someone who is calling and checking your references. After the interviews were over, we split up again to learn how they close the different eateries. You definitely have to be good at math and always keep a calculator handy because when it comes to counting down the drawers, you can easily make a mistake. When all the eateries were closed and the money had been delivered to the office, we were let go because all they had left to do was double check the drawers and get them ready for the next day.



Wednesday, July 1st
     When I got to the commissary kitchen,I was told it was going to be a rather slow day because they did not have that much to prepare. I met with Chef Rich Dwyer and Pepa Deltcheva, the assistant manager at the commissary. Pepa showed me around the kitchen and then left me in the hands of Casey who works the hot prep area there. I helped with breakfast prep for that morning for all the eateries and prepped for the next morning. After we were done with breakfast, I had the chance to work the tilted skillet to make lunch for that afternoon. Before this, I had always wanted to use a tilted skillet but I never had the opportunity to do so. Casey showed me how to fill it, fish out the pasta, and how to drain it. Once that was done, I went over to cold food production just as they were wrapping up the last of the meat that is sliced fresh every two days depending on how much they need. There was not much for me to do since they did not have as many orders to fill. After the last of the meat was cut and put away, I got to work on one of two projects I would finish that same day. The first project was to make new prices tags for the eateries because it was determined that some things needed to be added/removed/priced higher. The calculations that determine  all of those things were put into an Excel spread sheet and checked up against what it cost to get those things. After I was done making the price tags, Chef Rich sent me on a super project to go to Georgia Art Museum on campus to take pictures of my favorites then to come back and explain to him why they are my favorites. I put two of my absolute favorites below. I do not have a true explanation as to why I like those two the best.   
 3 Cheese ravioli 

Casey draining the super hot water

New price tags!!

Gif art from the museum



My Forebears were Pioneers tag                  My Forebears were Pioneers
Nomade                                                                        Nomade tag

Thursday, July 2nd
     We met with Mark at O'House to get started on some prep work for the opening banquet for The Freshmen College and to get started on our closing banquet decorations. I sat with Mark for a while to look over pictures of previous special events that have happened over the years at O'House to try and get an idea of they set up and what we can do with the space. He took me done to the basement to check out what they have stored away that we could possibly use for event. Let's just say, there is some really awesome stuff I cannot wait to get my hands on. When I was done looking over things with Mark, I went over top the salad prep to help Ms. Lisa out with the artichoke tapenade recipe. Ms. Lisa kept laughing the entire so she made it a lot easier when I started to freak out about the tapenade not being as thick as it should have been. Afterwards, Mark, Cole, Kara, and I went to Hobby Lobby to start picking up supplies we will need for our closing banquet. All I can you about that is expect balloons people.
Artichoke tapenade recipe and label

Artichoke tapenade

The basement at O'House

Okay you guys, you know the deal. See you next week!!

Flo

No comments:

Post a Comment