Sunday, July 5, 2015

UGA Week 5!

Monday (6/29)

Salad Prep

Starting my week off right at the Commissary! The Commissary is where production takes place for the eateries and for catering; within it includes hot food production, bake-shop, cold food production, and prep for the grab and go items. The first half of the morning I was preparing grab and go items. I was
able to make sandwiches, salads, wraps, and frugurts (graham cracker crumbs, yogurt, and strawberries). Time flew by doing this and it really helped me better understand the grab and go items and will assist me with the grab and go project.
I also spent some time today shadowing Chef Rich Dwyer. He explained to me the daily operations and how it differs when school is in session. We also walked over to the new Health Center eatery, which just opened up today!

The Commissary also sends out product to the eateries. The eateries place their orders in the day before and those items get delivered the next day. Today I spent some time in the stock room putting large shipments away and learn about their ordering process. I also got to help put orders together to be delivered to the eateries in the morning. I really enjoyed getting a lot of hands on experience today!
Items laid out for the orders

Order for a specific unit

Tuesday (6/30)

'Tween the Pages
From Commissary to Eateries! Today we are exploring how the eateries operate on a day-to-day basis. We met with Tamala (manager of the Campus Eateries) this morning and she explained the basics of the eateries. From there she took us out to different eateries to see for ourselves how they operate. I was in the library eatery today, ‘Tween the Pages. It is a small eatery that sells grab and go items,
convenience items, as well as hot foods and specialty made coffee. There I learned how orders for the eatery are placed everyday, how it runs during the school year, and how to make some of the specialty items at that location (aka I got to play with the espresso machine). It was interesting to see how a smaller unit operates compared to some of the larger dining halls.
After working in the eatery for a while, we were able to sit in on a couple interviews! I like sitting in on interviews; being on the other side I have really gotten to see what an employer is looking for in a successful candidate.
By this time, it was time to start closing down the eateries. I went around with Ellie and she showed me what they do to close down an eatery at the end of the day. Basically, they check the unit to make sure everything is shut off and cleaned and they close down the registers and even out the banks. We went around to a couple of the eateries and did this until all of them were closed (we even got ice cream when we went to the Creamery!).
My weekly ice cream - today, mint chocolate chip!



Wednesday (7/1)

How is it the first day of July already?! Time is flying by!

I started off my day by having my midpoint evaluation with Kris and then I was with Danielle, one of the dietitians, for the rest of the day!

Danielle had me working on Food Pro for most of the day and I learned a lot! Most of my work was for the Opening banquet. I spent some time looking up everything that was going to be served at the banquet and make a document with all of the ingredients and allergens so that the foods could be properly labeled. For questions we had about certain items we went and talked to Chef Don who was able to tell us a little more about those foods that were being served. I also was able to input some recipes into Food Pro; this gave me a deeper understanding of how to properly write recipes and was helpful since I am now writing recipes for the closing banquet.

It was awesome getting to work with Danielle and some of the other dietitian assistants today! Since I am studying to be a dietitian today was really great for me to get some hands-on experience and to ask questions! 

Thursday (7/2)

Ingredients for Pesto
Today we got to work in O’House to prepare for the opening banquet and plan some more for the closing banquet. I started off the day by helping Chef Don organize the recipes for the following week. I then got to start preparing a recipe that would be used Monday! I got to make a salad dressing and a tomato pesto. This was a fun task; I enjoy working back in the kitchen.

Tomato Pesto


I then go to sit down with Mark and talk about decorations for the closing banquet! We are going in a chaotic but elegant direction; we even got to go to Hobby Lobby and start buying some decorations for the event! I am so excited to see the finished product!
Finally, we helped do some prep work for the opening banquet on Monday. We helped pull all of the chafers out of the basement and then polished them so they are ready to go on the day of the event! We will be working on the opening banquet next week, it will be nice to see what we are in for with the closing banquet.

Friday (7/3)

We got to start the weekend early! I spent today relaxing and getting some work done!

Holiday weekend!

This was a fun and relaxing weekend! On the 4th of July some of my friends and I got together for fireworks! We watched some of the local fireworks (there were a ton of them going on!) and then someone brought out fireworks they brought from home! It was a blast!
Now off to watch the ladies beat Japan in the World Cup!

Hope everyone had a fun and safe 4th of July weekend!

Kara :)

No comments:

Post a Comment