Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Penn State - Week 8 - The End



The Final Blog.....

I literally can’t believe this is already the end. Time really does fly (at rocket speed, apparently) when you’re having fun. It’s true I’m very ready to be returning to the beautiful California, but I really fell in love with Pennsylvania. I hope to someday return, in the summer of course, if for nothing else than the weather, arts festival, and creamery.
Management Rotation with Amber from Pollock
Making crepes...yum yum!

The last week of management training was a blur of training, preparing for our luncheon, OSHA training, and Arts Fest. (Hint to future interns: get sick during OSHA training. You do NOT want to sit through that!) We got off early on Friday to finish up preparing for the luncheon, and then we had the whole weekend off!Arts Fest and the People's Choice Arts Fest were both awesome displays of national and local talent. Also, I had the best pretzel of my entire life!
Best pretzel EVER! Found at downtown Arts Fest
Just a mask just for fun


Arts Fest with the gang :)
 On Saturday Momma Maria hosted a wonderful BBQ at her house, and I wish we could’ve all been there to celebrate the beautiful summer day with her and her family and friends. The Arts Fest in downtown State College and the People’s Choice Festival in Boalsburg were awesome displays of national and local talent respectively. I am so glad we were able to experience Pennsylvania at such a beautiful, fun time of year.

On Sunday we rested and got mentally prepared for the event to come.

On Monday Marisa and I started prepping the vegetables, meat, sangria, pesto, salad dressing and fix-ins, etc. for our luncheon. Leah and Aimme were from of the house, so they prepared the seating/place settings, linens, centerpieces, etc. It looked absolutely beautiful! I was so glad their vision turned out so lovely and elegant, while our hard work and long hours in the kitchen helped make Tuesday a breeze.

The beautiful place settings for our luncheon















Tuesday: The big day. The last day. The day of all days! You wouldn’t think it would take 4 hours to assemble a salad, bake some flatbread, cook some salmon, chicken breasts, and kebabs, garnish dessert plates, plate some kebabs, and strain some sangria…but it does! Oh…it does! I don’t think I had more than a 5 minute break from 7:30am-12pm, and that’s when the luncheon started! Maria, Aimme, and Leah served our guests their lunch and dessert while a slideshow of our favorite group pictures played in the background. Then we all gave a short “thank you” speech, received our awards of completion, and cleaned up. My goodness. So much work just to serve 33 people a simple lunch. It was totally worth it, though. Through the experience I learned so much, especially from Chef Mark, about planning ahead, prepping, grilling, taste-testing, decision-making, plating, and so much more!

Our desserts: A lovely chocolate tart with whipped cream and chocolate shavings and a vanilla tart with mixed fruit.
Was it 22 salmons...or was it 21? I don't remember.
I am so grateful for the guidance and support we have had throughout this whole internship, and I just can’t believe it has already come to an end. I was challenged, rewarded, and would do it all again if given the opportunity. Thank you for everything, Penn State.

No comments:

Post a Comment